Crazy Christian Life by Kevin

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Instructions to Titus

Living as a Christian can be so difficult. I find myself so many times wandering away from the path of righteousness, and then almost too ashamed to return for the stupid things I've done.
Stupid !! Stupid !! Stupid !!
My morning devotions for the past six months have been all in the New Testament, and I just finished with the small book of "Titus" but for such a small book, one thing struck me like a bolt of lightning that is larger than life itself.
Titus 3: 1-8
1Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.
3At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. 4But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. 8This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

Verses 4-7 was my wake up call at this point in my life. A reminder of Who I am and Who I live for. I fall to you Lord and ask for forgiveness for all that I have done to slander you and your Kingdom. I pray that my Lifesong to you will echo that of verse 8. To devote myself to doing what is good in God's eyes and His presence.
To have the knowledge and wisdom for someone who has fallen away temporarily to help them come back into your Grace. To encourage someone who is down or depressed to remind them that they are not going through storms alone. For there have been so many times I find myself in this position, and you always ( never failing ) send an Ambassador of Christ to bring me back into your Grace.
What kills me the most is how you choose your ambassador for me. For instance, just recently, I was out of your presence, living the way I shouldn't, and then, out of the blue, someone comes to me with a question about you. Entrusting me in faith that I have encouraging words and wisdom to your Kingdom. Even with me far from your presence, I was able to encourage them with knowledge of what I have read from your atlas of Life. All the while reminding me of who I should be and where I should be, bringing me into repentance and turning away from my evil desires once again. Even though this person has no idea that he was helping me probably more than I was helping him, I thank him for his help to boost me over this mountain that was lying on my path of Christianity. I know I have several walls and mountains to climb in the future, but this one is behind me, and Christ again is victorious.
Amen!!!!!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 7/22/2006, Blogger Lou Arnold said…

    I think we so often learn more from the people we are witnessing to or helping come out of certain situations. I know I have many times over. God uses people in miraculous ways.

     
  • At 7/23/2006, Blogger Mandy said…

    I totally agree with that. It seems that so often God sends someone looking to ME for guidance when I feel I am flailing around like an injured bird or somethig. Helping someone else usually does bring me right back where God wants me.

     
  • At 7/24/2006, Blogger Mark W. said…

    Hey Kevin! Great anecdote about the "out of the blue" question...I totally understand those odd moments when I realize that what is happening is more than just happenstance, that there's a message in it for me - it's a very humbling feeling.

    By the way...thanks for the recent comments on my Queen post. I still have a vinyl of 'A Night at the Opera' (and a few others). It's amazing how mentioning that 35 year old band sends everyone down memory lane...there are a lot of great memories trapped in those songs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home