Crazy Christian Life by Kevin

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

My personal "Onesimus" Plea

As I ponder on life, I'm am full of questions about the past. I recently have just read the book of "Philemon" from the new testament. And a question stirs in my mind. What happened to "Onesimus" ? How does this story end ? According to the story, he was a slave of Philemon, and he must have stolen something from him. His sentence, according to the law, was death. Did Philemon answer Paul's plea, and spared Onesimus' life? Did Onesimus ever return to Paul to help him while Paul was in chains.
For some reason or another (probably because this was such a short book), I have never read this book before. This is a very short book and to the point from Paul to Philemon, a plea for Onesimus' life.
I myself have found myself in Onesimus' shoes. Not facing death, but relying on a good Christian friend, a brother in Christ, to possibly write a letter of recommendation or put in a good word for me. It might have been a job, or a loan, whatever the circumstance was, I have been in it. Sometimes the plea would work and sometimes it didn't. I'm curious to see if Paul's plea to Philemon was successful.
As a child growing up, I remember being trouble about something, and at times would use someone like a Grandparent to be my "Paul" for a plea to my parents. At times, I would be granted a full dismissal of my punishment, but at other times my punishment would be even worse than before for going behind my parents back.

Now as I fast forward to the reality of life at hand today, again, I can place myself in Onesimus' shoes as I answer to my one and only master, "God". Upon reading the Ten Commandments recently, I find that I have actually broke nine of the ten commandments.
#1 is the only one that I have kept. I have never worshipped another god.
#2- I have had other idols before him (IE: my time, my money, my spouse, my love for music, etc.....
#3 - I have used the Lord's name in vain.
#4 - I have gambled, worked or labored, and done all but worship on the Sabbath day before.
#5 - I have at many times, been disobedient to my parents.
#6 - I have, in my mind, not physically, murdered other people.
#7 - I have, again in my mind, not physically, committed adultery.
#8 - I have stolen, not just from others, but even from God himself.
#9 - I have at one time before, beared false witness against an acquaintance (Which in God's eyes is my neighbor)
#10- I have at one time before, coveted against other people (who again, according to God, is my neighbor)
Our sentence for our sins is death, but God's grace saves us through His mercy. He saved us by sending his only son, Jesus Christ, to die for our sins. Jesus is my Paul, who writes the letter of appeal on my heart to God, to ask Him for the dismissal of all my sins. Christ claims as Paul does to Philemon, that if I have done any wrong, or owe God anything, to charge it to Him (Christ), and he will pay back the debt that I have made.

WOW !!!!!!!!! WHAT A GREAT FRIEND TO HAVE IN JESUS !!!!!!!!!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 7/26/2006, Blogger Mark W. said…

    Whoa...this must be the day for heartfelt, revealing blogs. I know I would score very poorly on the 10 Commandment test also.

    About the Onesimus story: I think it's often just as useful, perhaps more so, to not know the ending. Think about it. The moral is still just as strong. Another example would be when Jesus was explaining to the rich man that he would have to give up everything and follow Him, it says he went away sad. I suppose that in that case the man made a poor choice, but whatever he chose to do, the message to us as we read it is just as vivid and inspiring. Funny how the story of Onesimus is useful as an analogy either way.

     
  • At 7/30/2006, Blogger Mandy said…

    I'm sure most ppl have broken several if not all of those commandments.. why else would God have made THOSE the big rules? He knew those were hard ones to keep! You're right, thankfully we can know we are forgiven for our stupidity!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home