Crazy Christian Life by Kevin

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Did Paul's thorn hurt as bad as my tooth?

Is the Marriage/Parenting weekend over? Can we do it again? I missed it !!!!
The whole weekend was a blur to me. I can't remember what I said or what I did.
What started out as a great weekend turned into a diaster. I was so pumped all week for this conference. I was feeling a little puny Friday night. That's when it all started. It just got worse and worse each ticking moment through the weekend. I've had this one tooth that has been bothering me for several months now. What started out as a small tropical storm in my mouth turned into Hurricane Katrina raging throughout my whole body. Turned out, it wasn't the tooth that has been bothering me, it was the one next to it.
Friday night I was just a little sick from it. It was just a little tender, but I've gone through that before. I always hate it, before a gig, if I'm not feeling 100 percent, it just sucks. I want to feel on top of the world, because I am doing something that I love to do so much, and, if I feel my best, I will strive harder to play my best.
By Saturday morning, the hurricane was devastating, and still growing. Somehow or another, I made it to First Assembly to play that morning. By the way, if I said or did anything to someone that day that offended them, please forgive me. Not only was I high as a kite from the painkillers I was taking, but I was disillusioned from the pain going through my mouth.
By this time, I was thinking that it might not be a tooth, maybe something else. Some kind of infection in my gum, maybe a tumor in my mouth, heck, anything. I didn't know what it was. Somehow or another, I made it through the morning worship, went to Fred's to get my antibiotics and then home to get some sleep, or something...RELIEF....Only it never came. I stopped at "Dad's Place", because I knew that it would take Fred's a little while to fill the order. By the way, Jim, was I dancing on the tables or anything? I was in never land. I do remember talking to you and Dean, but can't remember the conversations. Did I let out any national confidential secrets? If I did, I might have to kill you.......
Anyhow, this antibiotic that was called in for me was from my Doctor, not my dentist. I couldn't get a hold of him all weekend. So, needless to say, the antibiotic, wasn't strong enough. But I wouldn't know that until later.
I got home, took an antibiotic with another pain killer, and tried to get some rest. Of course, I couldn't, I was in too much pain. Before I went back to First Assembly for our final set, I took yet another pain killer. Folks when you take pain killers, and it still doesn't get rid of the pain, not only do you hurt, but you also feel numb throughout your whole body. I was in terrible pain, but I didn't care. My mouth was still hurting, but someone could have hit me in the stomach as hard as they could, and I probably would have never felt it.
I finally made it through all of the sets, and went back home. That's when the hurricane grew to it's largest and most powerful force. At one point, I thought that I saw a white light at the end of a tunnel. I think I was ready to go home. I really didn't think that I was going to make it. I was pondering on who would be my pallbearers. What would my Obit look like. Would it be another boring obituary, or would it be a great story of a man's life. Would anyone sing at my funeral, and who would it be. Will Tammie re-marry.............and then I snapped out of that quick...... Sorry Tammie, you have to still put up with me......
I was even telling Tammie to call the elders and deacons, and have them come over and anoint me. The emergency room came up in our conversation many times. But we knew from past experiences from dealing with the emergency room, it was useless.
Sunday, the storm didn't let up one bit. The day never happened in my book. I can't remember any event that happened at all. I know that Tammie finally got a hold of Dr. Denson around 8:00 pm. Just a little too late for that day for him to do anything. He said to be at his office first thing in the morning.
First thing I said when I walked into his office Monday morning was, "Pull it!!!!!"
He took an X-ray, and come to find out, it wasn't the tooth that I thought it was. It was the tooth right next to it. This tooth never had anything wrong with it before. Never a filling or anything.
He couldn't give me any anthesia because of the infection, so he drilled in it raw.
For those ladies out there that has had natural child birth before, I believe I just experienced it.
Once he finally drilled to the bottom of the tooth to where the infection was, it started draining immediately. I felt instant relief.
So here I am, still alive to tell the story.......When the infection completely is drained, then I go back to get it filled. He felt like it would be today....But my mouth is still a little puffy with infection. SO.... I guess it will be tomorrow. It still hurts a little, but not like it did.....I actually know what is going on around me.......
There's a lesson in this somewhere....... I don't know if Paul's thorn in his side hurt as bad as my tooth did this weekend, but I hope that my teeth are not my thorns in my side for the future. I don't think I can handle a hurricane Rita following this.

4 Comments:

  • At 8/29/2006, Blogger Jim said…

    Yes, Kev, I've had to replace 4 tables, 3 chairs and a sofa!

     
  • At 8/29/2006, Blogger Mark W. said…

    Ahh!...that explains that episode at the Marriage Weekend when you suddenly stood up during the set, shouted "Bring on the funk!" and launched into a wicked bass solo.

    Just kidding! Anyway, from my own experience with my first wisdom tooth ordeal (I ended up getting all of them removed just so that would never happen again) I can sympathize. I'm glad you're in recovery phase now.

    P.S. Ang and I are right there with you on the whole "emergency room" comment...useless!

     
  • At 8/30/2006, Blogger Tammie S. said…

    Oh Honey,
    You mean you would let me get remarried???? Let me start looking around!!! Naw, no-one out there could replace you and treat me as well as you do. Love you. And I am rrrreeeeaaallllyyyyy glad you are feeling better. I am not made to be a nurse. But, I will do it again if you need me to.

     
  • At 8/30/2006, Blogger Kristy said…

    Kevin, I've experienced extreme tooth pain and extreme childbirth with no drugs. Yep, you should be proud you conquered the tooth thing and thankful you won't have to worry about the childbirth. By the way, I've missed a lot of good reading on here...too many blogs to keep up with but I'm adding you to my bloglines thing now so I will:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home