Crazy Christian Life by Kevin

Saturday, September 16, 2006

I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke, and keep it company.

I'd Like to to buy the World a Home, and furnish it with love.
Grow apple trees and honey bees, and snow white turtle doves.

I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony.
I'd like to buy the world a coke, and keep it company.

God is the Real Thing.

When Nick was 4 years old, I had the great pleasure of visiting the Grand Canyon. This place tests each and everyone of your senses all at once. Your eyes can't begin to grasp all of the beauty, it's just breath taking and overwhelming throughout your entire visit. To a 4 year old child, it's scary. I remember vividly that Nick wouldn't even trust me to hold him while we looked over the canyon. He was too scared that something might happen and I might let him go. That the canyon was too powerful for me to hold him into safety. But that didn't matter to me then, or in the years to come, even though he didn't trust me in that one situation, I still loved him the same no matter what.

God is the same way in my life. I am so scared that He is going to let me go. So afraid that I won't let Him pick me up to see the incredible breath taking life He has in store for me. You don't realize things like this until actual miracles happen in your life. The problem is that miracles are happening to me every second of my life, I just don't ever take the time to stop and appreciate this Grand Canyon of my life that God is trying to show me. I actually believe that this concept can be applied to anyone's life.

If I can, I want to share with you, the latest "Praise God" miracles in my life. As most people know, I lost my job exactly 2 months ago. During that time several individuals have stepped up and have really helped us out. I just want to thank each and every one of you who have blessed Tammie and me beyond the call of "just friends". One couple last month gave us $200 to help with bills! Two other couples either treated us out to eat or had us to their home and fed us! Another couple gave us $100 to help with bills! A local church gave us a box of food! A good friend was trying to keep me in "on the side, under the table, little jobs" to help with my financial situation! This was all in the first month of my unemployment! Just this week we received $100 from anonymous in the mail! My dad has furnished gasoline in my vehicle to go to Central Arkansas twice for interviews! And supplied gasoline in my vehicle to take Nick to Pine Bluff to get his braces removed! I can't even begin to describe how my dad has helped me throughout the course of my entire life!
After all of that, I'm still afraid to let God hold me in his arms over His Grand Canyon. I'm still afraid to look over the edge of His steadfast Love. Which leads me to another miracle that happened this past Thursday.
Tammie and I have been looking through the newspapers for job listings. We've decided that no matter where God provides a job for us, we think that we are ready to pack our things up and go there. So, I find myself in Conway on Thursday at an interview for a pretty promising job.
My interview was set at 10:00 am with a Tony Davis. I was 10 to 15 minutes early. So there I was sitting in a small voyeur entrance to the offices of Conway Machine Inc. 25 or 30 minutes passed when suddenly I felt an oh so familiar feeling come upon me... My sugar was dropping, rapidly. I'm thinking to myself, "OH NO!!!!!, what am I going to do?" I usually keep some peanut butter crackers with me in these ever so often emergencies, but they were in the van and I didn't want to walk out and send a wrong vibe to the Tony Davis, if he had come to the entrance to get me. So I just sat there. As the cold clammy sweat was pouring down my cheek, and my head was becoming dizzy, and I was becoming weaker and weaker by the nano-second, I said a little prayer.
"God, just take this from me please, so I can get through this interview."
No sooner than I finished that prayer, I heard a voice coming from behind the door talking to the receptionist at the window. "Please tell Kevin that I will be , a little while, we have run into some problems, and I will get with him just as soon as we get them taken care of."
Before she opened the window, I was thinking, "well....Do I have time to go and get those crackers?" She opened the window and told me what I already had heard, and the suddenly she said, "Can I offer you a coke?" I said, "That would be Great!!!!"
About half-way through the coke, the moment that I regained my senses to normal, that exact moment, the door opened and Tony Davis was ready for me to begin my interview.

Ask, Seek, Knock.....
Matthew 7:7-8
7) "Ask and it will be given you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8) For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

The interview went great, I may or may-not get the job, but the wonderful thing I learned was that God was holding me over His Grand Canyon that day. Allowing me to see the breath-taking beauty of His creation and His love. I shared a coke with God who knows every hair on my head, every detail about my body, who has planned my life beyond my wildest dreams. God is the real thing. God adds life.

2 Comments:

  • At 9/17/2006, Blogger Sugar-n-Spice said…

    i love the illustration. . .i know i get caught in that tangled web of satan's lies that say god can't possibly look beyond what i've done this time, or that i haven't trusted him, when the truth is he's working harder than ever to hold on. . .and never let go. loved the worship line-up this morning. you picked some great songs, i was very leary of so many new songs, but it proved to be orchestrated by a higher power, i'm thankful you were in tune to that.

     
  • At 9/17/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kevin,
    You sure blessed me with your music this morning! My sister called me this afternoon to say how much they all enjoyed the songs you shared at her church (Bethel) last week. God is using you in a wonderful way. Keep looking up as you "Journey" on into God's plan for your life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home