Crazy Christian Life by Kevin

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Miracle at Drew Memorial

16 years ago today, My mother passed. With that sad moment in my life at hand, still God performed a miracle one day earlier that I will keep in my heart forever.
My mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. For about three days she was a patient at Drew Memorial Hospital. A miracle was all that we could hope for, because we knew her days were numbered. Bed-ridden and full of pleurisy, she finally slipped into a coma on the 20th of September. I called my sister in Phoenix, Arizona and told her that if she wanted to at least see mom while she was still alive, she might want to get on the earliest flight out. My sister's daughter was only 3 months old, and of course, she had never been in the presence of my mother. Nick was only 11 months old, but since he lived in Monticello, my mother spent plenty of days with him, and Kristie was able to spend almost six years of her life getting to know her. And what a wonderful woman to know. She definitely lived the life of a Saint. Those who knew her, were better people by knowing her. Goodness surrounded her everywhere she went. Her newest granddaughter was three months old, and my mother was wanting to meet her so bad. But her ailment for the past three months would not allow her to travel to Phoenix to see her. And now, here she was, in a coma, and all odds were against her ever holding her newest grandchild.

I told my sister that she was in a coma and that she needed to come to town ASAP. My sister's flight was scheduled to arrive in Little Rock in the evening of September 21st. My dad took over the duty of watching my mom while I went to Little Rock to pick up my sister, her daughter, and her husband. It was a long trip for them with a new born. We stopped and ate a late dinner, and then on to Monticello we went. We arrived in Monticello around 10 pm. I asked my sister if she wanted to go to the hospital tonight or wait until the morning. She said to go to the hospital.
We headed out to the hospital, and my dad had already gone home for the night.

When we all walked into her room, my sister just started bawling, and of course, that made me cry also. My sister put her daughter down right beside my mother, and then an incredible miracle happened.
My mother suddenly came out of her coma. She didn't say a word to anyone in the room, she didn't even acknowledge anyone else in the room. She had a huge smile on her face, only looking at her granddaughter. Her granddaughter also had a great big smile on her face, like if they were the only two in the whole state of Arkansas left. My mom pulled her little socks off and played with the baby. The room was just full of love between these two individuals. There was sighs and ohs, and other cheerful moans from the both of them. It seemed like they played together for several hours. Finally, it was time for us to leave. I'm not even sure that the hospital ever knew that my mom came out of her coma that evening. As far as they knew, she was in a coma the whole time.
My mom died early the next morning.... I believe that she was hanging on to life until she got to meet her other granddaughter before passing away.

I miss her so much, it just leaves a big gulp in my throat that I can't seem to swallow when I think about it. She was so smart, probably the smartest person that I ever knew. She had been rated a genius from a child. Valavictorian (probably spelled wrong) of her High School and Saluitorian (this one too) of her University. Even though you can't find her in any history book, to me she was famous. I dedicate this blog tonight to her in her memory. I pray that I can be just half the parent to my children that she was to me.
I Love You MOM. Your Son, Kevin......

3 Comments:

  • At 9/22/2006, Blogger Jim said…

    If there is anyone in the world that knows how you feel, it's me. I lost my Mom 19 years ago last month...and I feel EXACTLY like you do. People have always told me that death 'gets better with time'. Some days is does, but most day it doesn't. Hold the memories with love, that's what I do, and it helps me get through each day.

     
  • At 9/22/2006, Blogger Mark W. said…

    "Valedictorian" - Strangely enough, the Latin roots of the word literally mean "to say farewell." Awesome farewell post and remembrance of your mother. I always have to take in your posts slowly and carefully, Kev, because if I don't I end up teary eyed. Has anyone told you that you are also really good at playing the heartstrings?

     
  • At 9/23/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kevin,
    I really cried when I read your story about the "Miracle" and your Mama. It touched me so. I believe with all my heart that our Lord gave her that last desire....and as a witness for you and your sister of her love and His great love. September 21, last Thursday was also my birthday, (64th) and through you and your experience "He' gave me a gift...
    Thank you,
    You are a blessing to me and Dennis.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home