Crazy Christian Life by Kevin

Sunday, December 31, 2006

It Was The Best Of Times, It Was The Worst Of Times

Goodbye 2006, Hello 2007.

What a weird year for me. Alot of bad weather, some good, Very emotional, like a runaway roller coaster. Some great memories, some very stressful memories. 2006 will be one of those years for me that will be remembered in my family for a long time to come. We will be able to recall events easily throughout this year without looking in our history books. A year ago today, I didn't have a clue what the year held for me and my family. The events that took place in the Stokes family for 2006 is like reading the Arkansas Democrat daily. With each section fitting our life. Fun, Happiness, Tragedy, Hard Times, Events, Creative Ideas, Special Notices. Yes, each day had a new headline not knowing if you were going to read something happy or something sad. So we can stay on just one page in the newspaper, I will keep us in the weather section.
Walk with me through the Stokes History book in the year of 2006.

HEADLINE: Trapped in a Hail Storm and a Tornado:
Yes, the new year started with some bad news. A week before the new year began, I was diagnosed with diabetes. I can't even begin to tell you, how this disease makes me feel. Those of you that have this, can relate to the feelings that I get from this. If you don't take this seriously, you're a walking time bomb. And, yet, I still find myself, not taking it seriously on a daily basis. Why do I abuse myself so much? With the proper diet and exercise, I can beat this thing. But for some reason, I chose not to.
WRAP UP: There is a chance of rain (with a good chance of a hail storm) in my forecast daily with this defect in my life.

HEADLINE: Thunderstorm, (Not smart enough to get in out of the rain):
This next submission is in no way attacking anybody except myself. Most people didn't realize this even happened to me. I only have myself to blame.
At the beginning of the year, I was asked to step down from the Praise Band for a season. My Spiritual walk was in bad need of reorganization, and my pastor recognized this. At first I was angry, but several spiritual things took place in the next few weeks that let me know that this was the correct decision. Still, it was a long three months for me, watching and listening to the Praise Band while I sat in detention. I was so happy when my grounding was over, and I was able to step back up and jam with the incredible talented musicians we have in our church.
WRAP UP: I was fortunate enough for my sake, that someone saw me walking in this storm and gave me an umbrella.

HEADLINE: Thunderstorms (with a beautiful rainbow):
What was a "happy time" for my daughter, seemed to be tragedy for me. Her and her boyfriend of nearly three years, got married. I guess what hurt the most other than, just letting go, was , they eloped, and I never got the joy of giving away my little girl.
Her and her husband was just in for a couple of days, they left to go back to Kansas this afternoon. Yes, they had to go back on New Year's Eve, isn't that terrible? Tammie and I stood on the front porch waving goodbye, with tears streaming down our faces. Then I went in my bedroom, laid down on the bed, and bawled.
This seems to be the hardest thing I've had to let go of since my mother died in 1990. Why am I so sensitive? I bet I cry more than the average man. You know, the bible says that in heaven there will be no tears, but that is so hard for me to believe, because, if someone, that I care about, does not make it into the Kingdom of Heaven, I can't help but think that my water works will be flooding the heavenly floor that I stand on. I get choked up and a lump in my throat right now, just thinking about it.
WRAP UP: Have you ever sat on your front porch, and enjoyed a thunderstorm? I do it often. Sometimes, a good thunderstorm for me is very relaxing and refreshing. There could be danger outside of my location, but I sit safely away from the storm.


HEADLINE: Sunny and Clear:
Our Church sent several of us to Connecticut for a mission trip in July. What an incredible and memorable trip we had. We went to help a sister church with vacation bible school and we also experienced a train ministry.
One day, we took a train to New York City and then rode on the subway to some "points of interest" that we all agreed on. I'm torn between two places of being the highlight of the New York City day. One was "Ground Zero". There are thousands of people walking in this area and just beyond, from a crowded and very loud section of the city, to just a block away, complete silence and respect. The other was "Times Square". It was great!
WRAP UP: What a great day to go swimming!!! Not a cloud in the sky.

HEADLINE: Flood Warnings (Road slippery and Unsafe Ahead):
"Jesus, Take The Wheel".
I made a post in August with this title, just after Tammie and I took a trip to Kansas to help my daughter move there. On the way back, we almost got killed in an automobile accident. What seemed to be possible tragedy, turned into a happy blog that I will cherish for the rest of my life. If you haven't read this blog, please do so. God was at work throughout this day, and made sure we all knew He was in control. There is two parts, so be sure and read the first part first. You can find it in the archives under the month of "August".
WRAP UP: We went under water on the road at one time, and it was scarry.

HEADLINE: Hurricane hits land:
At the beginning of the year, I had no clue that I would be unemployed for over a 1/3 of it. This hit very hard on us. Leaving us "BUTT NAKED BROKE". I could write a book on this long drug out 5 months, but I will save you from that for now. Not knowing where God was leading me, I traveled as far as Virginia to search for possible jobs.
WRAP UP: This was a category 5 hurricane. One point for each month I was unemployed. It left a lot of damage to our property.

HEADLINE: Perfect day to go on a picnic:
God lead me to Camden, Arkansas, and gave me an incredible job there. I've worked three weeks now at "Hugg & Hall" and the people there have welcomed me with open arms. I am meeting and making some great new friends.

WRAP UP:
Many storms hit my house throughout 2006, and we have survived, now, The forecast ahead looks clear, so I think I will travel in that direction. If I can keep enough gas money in my pocket.
Hello 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home